China and Russia top the table and USA follow. History and big stories were made several times over at these Games at Artistic Gymnastics.
- The American Women’s team became the first USA Team to win the gold team medal in 16 years.
- Gabrielle Douglas became the first African – American woman to clinch the All Around title.
- Zou Kai became the most decorated Chinese gymnast, winning three medals at this Olympic Games.
- Aly Raisman became the first American to win gold on Floor.
- Oksana Chusovitina and Jordan Jovtchev competed in their sixth Olympic Games.
- Several gymnast lost out to medals based in these Olympic Games due to tie breaking rules -some of those included were Vanessa Ferrari, Catalina Ponor and Aly Raisman.
- McKayla Maroney who most thought was destined to clinch the gold medal on vault,
- In the Beam Final, Romania withdrew Diana Bulimar who had qualified, in order to let Larisa Iordache, who was first reserve, compete, with the though that she was one of their best medal hopes. She finished 6th with a fall.
- Arthur Nabarette Zanetti became the first Brazilian gymnast to win an Olympic medal, ahead of the Games moving to Rio in 2016.
- Great Britain’s Men’s Team finished in a historic third place in the Team Final, becoming the first GB male team to win a medal in 100 years.
- Epke Zonderland finally successfully completed his Cassina-Kovacs-Kolman release combination to win gold on High Bar.
- In the Women’s team competition, both Great Britain and Canada had historic finishes, finishing 5th and 6th respectively.
- Aliya Mustafina became the second Russian Woman after Svetlana Khorkina to win the Uneven Bars title.
- Mustafina also left this Olympic Games as the most decorated female gymnast in London with 4 medals.
- For the first time since the Sydney Olympics the Ukraine’s Men’s Team won a medal…for 10 minutes. An inquiry by the Japanese into Kohei Uchimura’s Pommel Horse score led to the Ukraine being pushed out of medal contention and into fourth place.
- We made it through a High Bar final without ANY falls!
I’m sure that there are plenty other historic and exciting moments that I may not have mentioned above. If you can think of any, please list them below in the comments section.