Here is a summary of Michael’s list:
- Don’t think of your child’s sport participation as an investment for which you want a return.
- Don’t show negative emotions while you are watching your child at a competition.
- Don’t do anything that will cause your child to be embarrassed.
- Don’t make enemies of other parents.
- Don’t interfere, in any way, with coaching during competition or practice.
Are your gym parents doing any of the above? I can certainly relate to the point “Don’t show negative emotions while you are watching your child at a competition“. I have heard and seen some parents make negative reactions to their child wobbling on beam or stepping forwards in a dismount.
Would you add anything more to the list?