It’s been quite a while since we’ve had any news on the USA girls. The MAG gymnasts have been competing at different events so we have seen and heard about them but very little from the WAG side.
Dwight Normile writes for International Gymnast ahead of the Visa Championships in August. He gives insight into the elite girls as discussed with their coaches. Here is the low down:
- Shawn Johnson will compete at both Classics and VISA’s but is not yet ready to compete All Around.
- Gabrielle Douglas will compete an Amanar on vault and has upgraded quite some bit in the last year.
- Bridget Sloan is still recovering from surgery on her biceps. Dwight thinks it is unlikely that we will see her before 2012.
- Rebecca Bross had ankle surgery in November and is slowly recovering.
- Alicia Sacramone will compete on beam, floor and vault. She is in good health.
- Alexandra Raisman is in good health and will compete an Amanar on vault.
- Chelsea Davis has retired from elite gymnastics.
- Mattie Larson has upgraded her uneven bars and balance beam routines.
- McKayla Maroney has just developed a back problem and it’s severity was not known by coach Galina Marinova last week
- Nastia Liukin… oh, erm… still no word there. I’m really thinking it’s all for publicity now at this stage.
Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images North America
An elite training camp is currently taking place at the Karolyi Ranch. You can view a discussion on the camp on the International Gymnast forum.