The Games of the XXX Olympiad will be held in London this year from July 27th – August 12th. Three disciplines of gymnastics will be represented in London at this Olympic Games. The main bulk of this All you need to know guide will be in relation to Artistic Gymnastics.
- Artistic Gymnastics: July 28th – August 7th
- Trampolining: August 3rd & 4th
- Rhythmic Gymnastics: August 9th – 11th
- Artistic Gymnastics and Trampolining will be held at the North Greenwich Arena, also know as The O2.
- Rhythmic Gymnastics will be held at the Wembley Arena.
- Saturday July 28th: Men’s Qualification (11am, 3.30pm, 8pm)
- Sunday July 29th: Women’s Qualification (9.30am, 11.15am, 2.45pm, 4.40pm, 8.00pm)
- Monday July 30th: Men’s Team Final (4.30pm)
- Tuesday July 31st: Women’s Team Final (4.30pm)
- Wednesday August 1st: Men’s All Around Final (4.30pm)
- Thursday August 2nd: Women’s All Around Final (4.30pm)
- Sunday August 5th: MAG Floor & Pommel Final & Women’s Vault Final (2pm)
- Monday August 6th: MAG Rings & Vault Final & Women’s Uneven Bars Final (2pm)
- Tuesday August 7th: MAG Parallel Bars & High Bar Final & Women’s Beam & Floor Final (2pm)
- Thursday 9th August: Individual All Around Qualification (12pm, 1.18pm) & Group All Around Qualification (2.50pm)
- Friday 10th August: Individual All Around Qualification (12pm, 1.18pm) & Group All Around Qualification (2.50pm)
- Saturday 11th August: Individual All Around Final (1.30pm, 2.03pm, 2.37pm, 3.10pm)
- Sunday 12th August: Group Final (1.30pm, 2.17pm)
- Friday 3rd August: Men’s Qualification (11am) & Men’s Final (3.25pm)
- Saturday 4th August: Women’s Qualification (2pm) & Women’s Final (3.25pm)
Participants & Teams Lists
A full listing of confirmed participants can be viewed here. Below are the teams confirmed to be taking part. These teams are still subject to change due to injury or withdrawal.
- China: Zou Kai, Chen Yibing, Zhang Chenglong, Guo Weiyang, Feng Zei
- France: Gael Da Silva, Cyril Tommasone, Hamilton Sabot, Yann Cucherat, Pierre-Yves Beny
- Germany: Philipp Boy, Fabian Hambüchen, Marcel Nguyen, Sebastian Krimmer, Andreas Toba
- Great Britain: Daniel Purvis, Max Whitlock, Sam Oldham, Louis Smith, Kristian Thomas
- Italy: Alberto Busnari, Matteo Morandi, Enrico Pozzo, Paolo Ottavi, Matteo Angioletti
- Japan: Kohei Uchimura, Kazuhito Tanaka, Koji Yamamoro, Ryohei Kato, Yusuke Tanaka
- Korea: Jihoon Kim, Seungil Kim, Soo Myun Kim, Hee Hoon Kim, Hak Seon Yang
- Romania: Flavius Koczi, Ovidiu Buidoso, Marius Daniel Berbecar, Cristian Ioan Bataga, Vlad Bogdan Cotuna
- Russia: Denis Ablyazin, Alexander Balandin, David Belyavskiy, Emin Garibov, Igor Pakhomenko
- Spain: Isaac Botella Perez, Javier Gomez Fuertes, Fabian Gonzalez, Ruben Lopez, Sergio Munoz
- Ukraine: Igor Radivilov, Mykola Kuksenkov, Vitalii Nakonechnyi, Oleg Stepko, Oleg Verniaiev
- USA: Danell Leyva, Jonathon Horton, Sam Mikulak, John Orozco, Jake Dalton
- Australia: Georgia Bonora, Ashleigh Brennan, Emily Little, Larrissa Miller, Lauren Mitchell
- Brazil: Adrian Gomes, Bruna Yamamoto Leal, Daiane dos Santos, Daniele Hypolito, Laís Souza
- Canada: Victoria Moors, Kristina Vaculik, Brittany Rogers, Ellie Black, Dominique Pegg
- China: Yao Jinnan, Sui Lu, Huang Qiushuang, Deng Linlin, He Kexin
- France: Youna Dofournet, Anne Kuhm, Sophia Serseri, Aurelie Malaussena
- Germany: Elisabeth Seitz, Kim Bui, Nadine Jarosch, Oksana Chusovitina, Janine Berger Alternate: Lisa-Katharina Hill
- Great Britain: Beth Tweddle, Hannah Whelan, Jennifer Pinches, Rebecca Tunney, Imogen Cairns
- Italy: Erica Fasana, Carlotta Ferlito, Vanessa Ferrari, Francesca De Agostini, Elisabetta Preziosa
- Japan: Rie Tanaka, Yuko Shintake, Yu Minobe, Asuka Teramoto, Koko Tsurumi
- Romania: Sandra Raluca Izbasa, Catalina Ponor, Diana Laura Bulimar, Larisa Andreea Iordache, Diana Chelaru
- Russia: Ksenia Afanasyeva, Anastasia Grishina, Viktoria Komova, Aliya Mustafina, Maria Paseka
- USA: Gabby Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, McKayla Maroney, Aly Raisman, Kyla Ross
Rotations & Start Lists
Below are the rotations and start lists for the Men’s and Women’s qualification competitions respectively.
- The top 24 gymnasts in each discipline will proceed through to the All Around final (2 per country).
- The top 8 teams in each discipline will proceed through to the Team Final.
- The top 8 gymnasts on each apparatus will proceed through to the Event Finals (2 per country per apparatus).
- MG 1 = ISR, HUN, GRE, AUS
- MG 2 = KAZ, POR, BUL, BLR, VIE, TUN
- MG 3 = ARM, ARG, LAT, IRL, EGY, SVK
- MG 4 = PUR, CRO, NED, AZE, SUI, CZE
- MG 5 = BRA, HKG, AUT, CHI, LTU
- MG 6 = POL, MEX, BEL, COL, CAN, TRIPARTITE
- MG 1 = CZE, DOM, HKG, HUN
- MG 2 = MEX, BEL, KAZ, TUR, GUA
- MG 3 = POL, CRO, SUI, PUR, SVK
- MG 4 = TRIPARTITE, UKR, POR, ISR
- MG 5 = VIE, SLO, NED, CHI, EGY
- MG 6 = SWE, GRE, ARG, FIN, KOR
- MG 7 = AUT, COL, BLR, VEN, UZB
- MG 8 = LTU, SIN, ESP, BUL, RSA
Arabian Punch Front Blog has information on each of the mixed groups – starting with MG 1 here.
It is not possible to list the Olympic television coverage for every nation and every reader of Full Twist. The majority of our readers are based in the USA, Great Britain, Ireland and Australia so we have provided information of coverage for these places but you can check out television and online coverage for your country here.
Ireland’s own top judges Mairead O’Callaghan and Colm Murray will provide commentary for the MAG and WAG competitions. Due to the fact that Kieran Behan is competing on this Olympics, RTE are bound to show more coverage and interest to gymnastics. RTÉ has announced that it will offer up to 2,300 hours of coverage of the London 2012 Olympics across RTÉ Television, RTÉ Radio and RTÉ Digital beginning with the opening ceremony on Friday 27 July and running until the closing day on Sunday 12 August. A full schedule has not yet been released.
If you are travelling or on holidays in Europe during the Olympic Games you can also stay in touch with how the Irish are faring in London by watching RTÉ’s television coverage live via the EBU’s Olympic Portal at www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/.
The EBU’s Olympic Portal will be online from 24 July to 31 August inclusive, and will carry all of RTÉ Two’s televised Olympic programming.
If you are in a participating country you can watch the live coverage of all other EBU members, apart from the coverage of the host broadcaster in the country you are in.
NBC and MSNBC will show gymnastics. All times listed below are Eastern time.
July 28: 8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Men’s qualifications
July 29: 7:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Women’s qualifications
July 30: 1:35 a.m.-4:30 a.m., NBC: Repeat of women’s qualifications
8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Men’s team finals
July 31: 1:35 a.m.-4:30 a.m., NBC: Repeat of men’s team finals
8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Women’s team finals
August 1: 1:35 a.m.-4:30 a.m., NBC: Repeat of women’s team finals
8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Men’s all-around finals
August 2: 1:35 a.m.-4:30 a.m., NBC: Repeat of men’s all-around
8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Women’s all-around finals
August 3: 1:35 a.m.-4:30 a.m., NBC: Repeat of women’s all-around
9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., MSNBC: Men’s trampoline, shown live
August 5: 7:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Men’s and women’s event finals: men’s floor and pommel horse; women’s vault
August 6: 1:35 a.m.-4:30 a.m., NBC: Repeat of event finals
8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., NBC: Men’s and women’s event finals: men’s high bar and parallel bars; women’s beam and floor
August 10: 12:35 a.m.-1:35 a.m., NBC: Rhythmic gymnastics qualifications
August 11: 1:15 p.m.-2:00 p.m., NBC: Rhythmic gymnastics final
In addition to the host feeds, all 4 NBC Universal cable channels providing Olympic coverage (NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC and Bravo), will be streamed on NBCOlympics.com and in a “Live Extra” app.
London is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard time. Gymnastics Zone also has some fantastic information here.
Australian gymnast Luke Wiwatowski provides ways for Australian gymnastics fans to watch your favourite sport, on television and online. View that here on his blog.
Via Confessions of a Gymnastics Fan – thank you to them for their hard work
Saturday 28th July – MAG Qualifying
- Sub. 1 (MG3, KOR, GBR, CHN, FRA, MG4) 11.00 – 13.20 BBC3
- Sub. 2(ITA, USA, MG6, MG5, MG1. JPN) 15.30 – 18.00 BBC Red Button (some coverage)
- Sub. 3(ESP, UKR, ROU, GER, MG2, RUS) 20.00 – 22.30 BBC3
Sunday 29th July – WAG Qualifying
- Sub. 1(MG2, MG6, MG1, BRA) 09.30 – 10.55 BBC Red Button (some coverage)
- Sub. 2(MG4, ITA, MG3, AUS) 11.15 – 12.40
- Sub. 3(USA, CAN, GBR, FRA) 14.45 – 16.10 BBC3
- Sub. 4 (MG7, GER, CHN, RUS) 16.30 – 17.55 BBC3 (some coverage)
- Sub. 5(MG5, JPN, MG8, ROU) 20.00 – 21.25 BBC Red Button (some coverage)
Monday 30th July – MAG Team Final
- 16.30 – 19.20 BBC1/BBC3 (coverage changes @ approx. 18.00)
Tuesday 31st July – WAG Team Final
- 16.30 – 18.45 BBC1/BBC3 (coverage changes @ approx. 18.00)
Wednesday 1st August – MAG All Around Final
- 16.30 – 19.15 BBC1/BBC3 (coverage changes @ approx. 18.00)
Thursday 2nd August – WAG All Around Final
- 16.30 – 18.40 BBC3
Friday 3rd August – TRA Men’s Qualification & Finals
- 14.00 – 16.15
Saturday 4th August – TRA Women’s Qualification & Finals
- 14.00 – 16.15 BBC1 (15.26 – 16.00)
Sunday 5th August – MAG/WAG Event Finals
- MAG Floor Exercise 14.00 – 14.40 BBC2
- WAG Vault 14.50 – 15.30 BBC2
- MAG Pommel Horse 15.40 – 16.20 BBC2
Monday 6th August – MAG/WAG Event Finals
- MAG Rings 14.00 – 14.40 BBC Red Button
- WAG Uneven Bars 14.50 – 15.30 BBC1
- MAG Vault 15.40 – 16. 20
Tuesday 7th August – MAG/WAG Event Finals
- MAG Parallel Bars 14.00 – 14.30 BBC1
- WAG Beam 14.45 – 15.20 BBC1
- MAG Horizontal Bar 15.35 – 16.10 BBC3
- WAG Floor Exercise 16.20 – 17.00 BBC3
Thursday 9th August – Rhythmic Qualification
- Individual (Rotation 1) 12.00 – 13.18
- Individual (Rotation 2) 13.18 – 14.36
- Group (Rotation 1) 14.50 – 15.45 BBC Red Button (some coverage)
Friday 10th August – Rhythmic Qualification
- Individual (Rotation 3) 12.00 – 13.18
- Individual (Rotation 4) 13.18 – 14.36
- Group (Rotation 2) 14.50 – 15.45
Saturday 11th August – Rhythmic Final
- Individuals 13.30 -16.00 BBC Red Button (some coverage)
Sunday 12th August – Rhythmic Final
- Groups 13.30 – 15.15 BBC Red Button (some coverage)
All of these times are British (BST). The BBC coverage is as I am aware of it at the moment, I will update if I become aware of any changes. The whole of the gymnastics schedule will be available live via the BBC website as one of their 24 live streams of the Games.
The following sources will are sure to be providing their analysis, results and opinions over the course of the Olympic Games.
- Full Twist – Facebook – Twitter
- Gymnastics Examiner – Twitter – Facebook
- Couch Gymnast – Facebook – Twitter
- The All Around – Facebook – Twitter
- Double Front - Twitter – Facebook
- Get a Grip Gym Blog
- As always keep an eye on the FIG Youtube Channel and also the Twitter and Facebook for videos and photographs.
- British Gymnastics will have their Media team there also – follow for British updates on Twitter and Facebook.